Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Truth About Forever

"Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." - Ruth 1:17

In the US half of all marriages end in divorce. Dwell on that thought a moment
The truth of the matter is, though, that our culture has absolutely no regard for commitment. That's right, I want to talk about commitment, and not just that of a marital kind. The verse above was a quote from Ruth speaking to her mother-in-law, not to a husband.
Ruth is an excellent example of commitment. She left her home and her family out of commitment to Naomi! Do you know what made Ruth an excellent example? When Naomi offered her the choice to stay, Ruth counted the cost, and chose to go. I see in this verse that she truly understood "forever."
I believe that the reason that people have a problem with keeping a commitment is because they truly don't mean "forever" when they promise it. In fact, they believe in a conditional "forever." Ruth understood that when you make a life commitment, like marriage that it means until you die or in layman's terms, "forever." You see when we get married, we make that commitment before God and swear "til death."
Perhaps we should all take a moment and realize that when we say forever, what the word means is this: Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment