Friday, July 22, 2011

30 Days of Esther: Day 12

"Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish" - Esther 4:16
This is my favorite verse in the book of Esther. This is the verse that makes me want to emulate her.  
The first thing I notice about this statement is that she is willing to change when she's been shown her error. This is one of the most difficult things to do! To bury our pride and right fighting, but to openly and humbly listen to another's rebuke, and to adjust accordingly!
Next, I notice that even when she realized the right course of action, she asked for prayer, and prayed herself. She knew that even doing right is only possible through the power of the Lord!
Lastly, her words, "if I perish, I perish." What an awesome picture of total surrender to the Lord. She realized that in order to serve the Lord at all we need to be willing to give the Lord our everything, including our lives! 
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." - Luke 9:24

No comments:

Post a Comment