Friday, July 15, 2011

Owning My Faith

Growing up the daughter of a Baptist preacher, I've inevitably faced criticism in my life. One of the most interesting forms is that I don't actually believe what I believe for my own reasons, but because it's what my parents taught me to believe.
My mother and father, I'm sure, would scoff at this more than anyone else, knowing me as well as they do. Especially since I differ from them on some of my beliefs, and that I'm just independent by nature. Considering this, I always find it interesting when people accuse me of inheriting my faith, instead of owning it myself.


"That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed." - Luke 1:4

While teaching me about the Lord, my parents also taught me to search scripture and test what I've been taught. I was also offered the opportunity to study proof of the truth of the Bible, such as learning about Creationism. Did you know that the earth's magnetic field depletes by 50% every 1400 years? That means that the earthcan't be old enough to support the theory of evolution, because if you go back too far everything on the earth would be flattened by the magnetic field!

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" - I Peter 3:15

Here's my answer:
Yes, I was raised in a home where I was taught about the Lord, and yes, I believe many of the things that I was taught. (I should point out that a lot of people born to atheist believe what they were taught as well.) But, my faith is my own. It is born out of the love of my Savior that He sought me and bought me with His blood.
By the way, the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is historical fact. Many historians, Christian and otherwise, have recorded it so, and therefore, it meets the standard to signify it as fact.
Has anyone ever died to protect your life? If someone did you would undoubtedly feel in their debt, or that some repayment was only reasonable, right?
Since I've been made aware that Jesus died to save my eternal soul, I've felt that it's only reasonable to give my life to Him and to serve Him with every breath that I'm afforded!

" I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." - Romans 12:1
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment