Thursday, July 7, 2011

George Mueller

"I was satisfied with God. And all this springs, as I have often said before, from taking God at his word, believing what he says" - George Mueller, preaching at his wife's funeral.

George Mueller has been a spiritual hero of mine since I was twelve years old. I'm sure many love him and see him in the same light that I do.
The things that have impressed me most about him is that he only ever asked God to meet his needs, never man. He never accepted a salary for his ministering, but trusted the Lord would lay on the hearts of His children the desire to give.
When I was a child we had very little, and we did, in fact, have some George Mueller moments. There were times when the next meal was beginning to look like it might not come, but God provided in mysterious and unconventional methods. He often burdened others to give to my family and rewarded my parents' faith, and utter lack of greed, with the provision He'd already promised in His word.

My parents are not perfect (sorry Mom and Dad, but it's true). They made mistakes raising me, they make mistakes now, but I remember their faith in these times as some of the purest and truest faith I've ever witnessed. When, at the age of twelve, I first read George Mueller's biography I felt kinship toward him, because I knew what it was to be salaried by faith.
When I was that little girl it was easy to share my parents' faith, but now, I find it much more difficult to trust at that same level. Why? I've seen with my own two eyes the same miracles that George Mueller had. I've been there when $50 arrived anonymously or someone came over with a bag of groceries for no reason at all! I know what it is to see the Lord provide in manners that most Americans can only imagine, and yet.
I'm still floundering around struggling to believe when things get a little tight, and I mean a little. The Lord has been so gracious to me. As of yet, Mike and I have never even needed close to the faith that my parents had, the Lord has provided well for us.
Now that I look at the sermon he preached, and I think of the life he led, I realize that all in all his life philosophy was tied up in the quote above. He was satisfied with God. Not only has God provided for my family our needs: a comfortable home, two vehicles, a well-stocked pantry, but he's provided so many luxuries for us (like the computer I'm using to post this.) He's given me this when there is only one thing that I truly need, my Savior. Am I satisfied with Christ? I can't be satisfied with him if I'm wanting more than I currently have, can I now? But, George Mueller was, he truly and completely was. And, God never withheld what was good from him.
Secondly, I believe that quote truly shows us the key to George Mueller, he took God at His word. Isn't it simple to take someone at their word? When a friend tells me a funny story that happened to them at work, I never ask them to provide proof or a coworker's number so that I can verify their rendition! I simply believe them. When I'm heading out for the day and the meteorologist says it might rain, I pack an umbrella. When I go to the library and the librarian tells me that the book I'm reading contains something undesirable, I put the book back on the shelf. I spend all day every day taking others at their word. But, it's a constant struggle to take the Lord at His. He who has proven time and again in the lives of those I know, in my life and in fulfilled prophecy that He is the only one who will always keep His word.
So, now you know my spiritual mountain that I'm currently climbing: Just taking God at His word!
"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." - Matthew 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment