Saturday, July 30, 2011

30 Days of Esther: Day 17

"So Haman came in. And the king said unto him, What shall be done unto the man whom the king delighteth to honour? Now Haman thought in his heart, To whom would the king delight to do honour more than to myself" - Esther 6:6
"So Haman came in. And the king said unto him, What shall be done unto the man whom the king delighteth to honour? Now Haman thought in his heart, To whom would the king delight to do honour more than to myself" - Esther 6:10

And now comes the beginning of the End for Haman.
The king decides to honor Mordecai, and when he asks Haman, who by the way was only there to request the life of Haman, he immediately thinks that the king would only want to honor him? WOW! I know the theme of this book has been the dangers of pride, but this is some of the most extreme pride we've witnessed!
Or is it? How often have we thought to ourselves, "why did this person receive something, I deserved it?" More often than we'd like to admit I imagine. I felt this when we were desiring a child. Someone of whom I don't think well was going to have a baby. I remember questioning why God would let that person have a baby when he knew that I would raise my baby to honor Him. That wasn't a very Christ-honoring thought, now was it? It was me-honoring. I was such a superior person that I would make a better mother. This is truly a proud assumption to rival that of Haman's.
I struggle personally with this brand of jealous pride too often. I should learn from Haman, who took a hard fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment