Thursday, June 30, 2011

Psalm 1:1-3

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper." - Psalm 1:1-3 I've always felt this to be an encouraging scripture. I think it's often used with teenagers, to help them stay away from the "bad" crowd. But, it's so fitting for adults, who, just because we grow up doesn't me we don't want to fit in.
When we're older, we quit calling it peer pressure and start calling it "people pleasing." You know I think I'm more anxious about others' thoughts of me now than I've ever been. I'm careful about what I wear when I leave the house, I'm careful to put on makeup & heaven forbid my child should throw a fit while in the grocery store!
Must of us go to work each day (I did until 2008) and we have evil influences all around us. (Not that we should completely avoid sinners & never witness to them.) But, we should not be receiving counsel from them, or let them influence our mind. Instead we need to be meditating on God's Word. If His words are in our heart there isn't room for a worldly perspective. When we're in God's Word and growing spiritually strong, we're like a tree. Those "bad" voices we here do not affect or move us, but we show forth fruit that will affect them. They will see your fruit and in it see your Savior. Just a quick thought on some verses I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment