Monday, June 20, 2011

Shards of Broken Glass

As a small child, and an older child, and even a teenager, the person I was most concerned to please was my sister. (The one I fought with and that donated a kidney to my dad.) We were more than two years separated by age, but I thought she was the holder of wisdom. If she said it, I believed it!
When were very young, my mother broke a glass, she told us to stay away from the broken glass because it would cut us. I knew this to be true and had no intention to near it, until my sister told me to touch it. Of course, I did and of course, I received a nice cut in return!
My Sis & Me
What is it about humans that make us so desirous to please others? If you stop and logically contemplate it you see that it's pure silliness. But, when your in that moment and you feel the pressure to please another, don't you find yourself picking up broken shards of glass more often than not? I do.
"For do I now persuade men or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet please men, I should not be the servant of Christ." -Gal 1:10
I wouldn't try to encourage you to be unkind to others to ensure that you're not pleasing men, but, what's your motivation? Do we please men to fulfill our need for acceptance or are we loving others as Christ does us?
"He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him." -I John 2:10

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great post. I appreciate the verses you add with your posts. Very enlightening!

    Laura P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I really appreciate that you've been reading.

    ReplyDelete