Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life Verses

I've never been one to have a "life verse" per say. I believe that all Scripture is given by inspiration, therefore, no one verse is more or less important than the other. However, I can't help but have a theme verse that is a challenge or comfort to me during certain stages of my life.

When I was in High School and shortly thereafter my absolute favorite verse was Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." At that point in my life I had the most desire for Heaven and Eternity that I've ever felt.

Then, I got married and a few years later the Lord blessed us with our first little girl.

Suddenly, my outlook had changed. I'm ashamed to admit that it's harder for me to focus on heaven. Instead of aching for Heaven my heart aches at the idea of leaving my girls with a motherless future. This is my personal struggle. Please comment and offer verses, council, or testimony if you feel you have some wisdom you can share with me in this area.

My current favorite verse is the verse at the top of this page: "For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of Him." I Samuel 1:27

In early December of 2007 on a dark morning before I went to work, I was reading my Bible, and decided to look at Hannah. I had been desiring a child for a few months at that time and was more than a little discouraged. So, of course, I turned to I Samuel and began reading of Hannah's heartache, sympathizing with her. When I came to her prayer in verse 11 of chapter 1, I too said this prayer. "And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life and there shall no razor come upon his head."

I excluded a few of the phrases, I must admit. I didn't ask for a "man" child and I did not promise never to cut my child's hair. But, I truly believe the Lord has blessed me with children because of this prayer.

My challenge as a mother is this: I'm trying to look at my time with my children as a time of training. The Lord has granted me a few short years with them to teach them, witness to them, and disciple them. My earnest prayer is that when I present my children to the Lord, as Hannah did Samuel, that He will find vessels available for His purpose. That they're hearts will always be open to His leadership and that they'll be used mightily by Him!

While I Sam. 1:27 is my favorite verse because it reminds me of how good my Lord has been to me, my second favorite verse is the following one: "Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there."

This verse is the verse that reminds me that on that cold, December morning not onl, did the Lord hear my plea, but that I made Him a promise too. It is my reminder that these are His children, not mine, and I daily need to give them to Him.

If you're out in cyberspace wondering, "Does God really answer prayers today as He did in the days of Hannah?" I had a positive pregnancy test on December 30, 2007. That is most definitely answered prayer!

Baby #1!

Born, September 10, 2008

Baby #2!

Born, August 5, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story. I struggle with the same... can't wait to go to heaven and worship at our Savior's feet... but I want to be a mama and a wife for right now too!
    I have different verses that I have clung to in different parts of my life. The one that I adopted and has remained my favorite is, 2 Cor 4:8. "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed."
    There's more to that verse, but during an incredibly difficult time that portion of the verse appeared on my tear off calendar as the verse of the day and I can just imagine Paul writing it while on house arrest and saying "We are hard pressed on every side" and then holding up his finger with a hopeful pause, "but not crushed." Love it.
    Thanks for sharing your heart Bekah.
    ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your verse with me! I love that verse too. If you find any words of wisdom to help with our struggle to keep our eyes on Heaven, please, let me know! Thanks for commenting and sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete