Saturday, June 25, 2011

My 2 Year Old Mirror

My grandmother said, "Little pitchers have big ears." (At least, I'm fairly certain that's how she said it.) Meaning, that small children see/hear everything we do, even what we think they're too little to understand.
I have learned this truth first hand. Over the past year my daughter has gone from a baby, saying one and sometimes two words at a time, to a little girl, who speaks in full sentences and plays pretend. What a difference a year can make!
Suddenly, I'm hearing myself in a slightly babyish tone playing with my children, teaching them, and most importantly reprimanding them. I've never realized how often I say certain words and phrases. Words like, "Darlin'" and phrases like, "How 'Bout."
I appreciate this little mirror of mine, but I've definitely learned that there are some sounds I don't want mimicked. Hearing her repeat my words or "punish" dollies for doing various things, has shown me that I need to control my temper a little more!
Don't worry, yelling isn't something you'll hear in my house often, but I can certainly improve. I'm hoping that I'll start to notice her disciplining dolly a lot more peacefully in the future. And, while it's shocking to be measured in this manner, I'm a little thankful for this barometer to measure my mothering!
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." -Proverbs 22:6

I've always believed the best way to teach is by example.

2 comments:

  1. yep, I've got one of those little mirrors too, who will be 3 very soon & tries to do exactly like mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sobering to realize how much they observe and repeat!

    ReplyDelete