Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Calling


"There ye shall lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." - Deuteronomy 11:18 & 19

When I started 7th grade I began working in the Children's Ministries in my church. I began babysitting when I was 12, and having both a niece and nephew while still in my teens, I spent a lot of my adolescence with small children.
Not that I disliked it, but by the time I graduated I found myself ready for something new and different. I had always felt a burden for Israel, and I assumed if I started down the path toward becoming a missionary, the Lord would open doors and call me.
This was not the case. In fact, every door slammed in my face.
At nineteen, I was working in a daycare facility. I, unexpectedly, found that I enjoyed working there quite a bit, and I did not have peace pursuing my own call to the mission field.
During nap time, I was helping a little boy try to settle down for his nap. He asked me to pat his back. He laid on his stomach and I knelt beside him to pat him. He suddenly looked up and said, "Miss Bekah, I love you." It was quite possibly one of the sweetest professions I'd ever heard.
At that moment it was as if I heard the Lord speaking in my ear, "This, Bekah, this is the future I have for you. Children."
From that moment, my passion changed. I enjoyed working with little ones so much more than ever before!
The Lord presented many opportunities for me to work with children, I also knew in my heart that he didn't want me working professionally with children only. I knew that God's plan was for me to work with my own children.
In 2008 God finally gave me that opportunity to fulfill the calling He gave to me, and, I am trying not to be too distracted by daily living that I forget that I'm in full time ministry! I'm in the ministry of mommying, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14
 

2 comments:

  1. I am also in the ministry of mommying and thank God for my family. You are such a wonderful mommy to your two sweeties :)

    Laura P

    ReplyDelete