Wednesday, August 3, 2011

30 Days of Esther: Day 20

"And the king arising from the banquet of wine in his wrath went into the palace garden: and Haman stood up to make request for his life to Esther the queen; for he saw that there was evil determined against him by the king." - Esther 7:7

Finally, Ahasuerus has done something worth applauding! I knew if he saw Esther's virtues there must be some good in the guy.
Ahasuerus has discovered that Haman's plot would be an attack against his queen. Finally, he realizes what an evil, conniving, and proud man he's had at his side. He was very angry!
But, look at the king's actions. I'm sure he was angry enough to kill Haman, right at that moment, but he went into the garden. He showed great wisdom in his wrath, wisdom he hadn't shown when he was angry with Vashti! Had Esther been a good influence on him? He paused and took a moment to calm his anger before he chose the course of punishment to be allotted to Haman. What a wise course of action that we should all emulate!
Sometimes my daughter can do just the right thing to aggravate me. Like when she dumps baking soda all over the floor, or this morning when she threw cheerios on me, or the time she took my ink pen to the walls (I blame myself for this one) my natural reaction is to react in anger. But, we know that it's always best to pause and calm before we administer punishment.
"He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated." - Proverbs 14:17

No comments:

Post a Comment