Friday, December 2, 2011

The Debt We Owe

My husband and I have always been very intentional when it came to creating, maintaining & using credit. We've wanted the freedom of a good credit score, but not the bondage of being in debt. Believe it or not, but no matter how hard anyone tries, everyone is deeply indebted.
I don't mean a financial debt. You see, we've all run up a sin debt. And, even if you don't believe in a God, you've still been charging away like it's Black Friday at the Sin Emporium.
I can't even imagine how much debt I could have accrued over the years of my life. I can almost hear the dial tone of those slightly outdated credit card machines every time I think of all the "little white lies" or unkind words. In fact, I think I could put the U.S. government to shame when I think of just the debt I've accumulated with my unkind words.
My husband and I try never to spend more than we have, but we've been known to do it... i.e. our mortgage. We didn't have that kind of money lying around, but we did feel sure we had the money to pay it back. We, as sinners, are not even that smart. We sin and sin, and sin, and, yet, we have absolutely nothing with which to pay for the sin.
Here are the facts:
You are a sinner, and have accumulated a debt.
The payment for that sin will come due.
"For the wages of sin is death;..." -Romans 6:23a

However, imagine if you will that a benevolent benefactor decided to pay off my mortgage?! That's exactly what Christ did, he paid what we owed with His death!
"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." -1 Peter 2:24

Even if you don't believe, you owe. I prayerfully encourage to accept the merciful gift of payment in full that Christ is offering you!
"...but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." -Romans 6:23b

No comments:

Post a Comment