Friday, September 30, 2011

Favorite Hymns & Hymnist: Isaac Watts

I've done some blogging about hymns, and like to post lines of hymns on my fb & twitter. I thought I'd take this opportunity to express, why I specifically like hymns.

Our Christian culture is moving away from using hymns, (which are contemporary music, because they are still being written) and this I find devastating. I think that hymns have a knack for presenting the listener/singer, with sound Bible doctrine. I'm not saying that other forms of Christian songs do not, but I feel that hymns have somewhat "cornered the market."

I especially like to hear the hymns written by Isaac Watts. I feel that he has strong doctrine in all of his, and if we listen instead of sing in rote, nearly half asleep on a Sunday, we can't help but be blessed!

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.


This is perhaps one of my favorite lines from the hymn, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. As Christians we can't boast in anything. To even become a Christian, to be born again, one must recognize their fallibility and the perfection of our Lord. We must sacrifice all the pointless bobbles that distract us from complete surrender to our Lord, as He sacrificed for us!

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Another amazing stanza. Think of what sorrow and guilt we should feel in the death of our Lord, of which we bare responsibility. And, yet, we can also feel joy in that the sacred blood we spilled has sealed our future in glory with our Savior. It has relieved us of the guilt we feel at His death!



The next time you're in service singing that hymn you sang four weeks ago, and every four or five weeks since your childhood, please, take a moment to contemplate it. Consider the conviction that the author poured into it's conception, and the message that was meant to edify you!

No comments:

Post a Comment